International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)
- What is International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)?
- Classification of International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)
- What Is IMDG CODE?
- Imdg code 2020 pdf free download
What is International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)?
International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code(IMDG Code) was formed for the protection of crew and to prevent all type of marine pollution at sea, which can be caused by vessels carrying hazardous or dangerous goods.
The code was adopted in 1965 as per the SOLAS Convention of 1960 under the International maritime organization.
The IMDG code ensures safe transportation of goods through seaways.The code is a uniform code and is applicable to all ships worldwide.
Full form of International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)Code
- IMDG code was Adopted in the year 1965
- It was formed to prevent all types of marine pollution
- It Ensures safe packaging and transport of dangerous goods by sea
- The code is applicable to all cargo ships in the world
- Formed as per UN recommendations by the International Maritime Organization (IMO)
International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG) 2020 Edition
VOLUME 1 (parts I, II, IV, v, VI and VII) includes:
General provisions, definitions and training
• Packing and tank provisions
• Consignment procedures
• Construction packing and testing packing, IBCs, large packing material, portable tanks, MEGCs and road tank vehicles
• Transport operations
VOLUME 2 contains:
• part 3 (List of dangerous Goods, any special provisions and exceptions)
• Appendix A (list of generic and N.O.S. shipping terms) and Appendix B (glossary)
Classification of International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG)
- Classification 1 – (Explosives)it contains materials which is exposed to high explosive risk and low explosive risk
- Classification 2 –(Gases) This clause has three sub-categories that talk about gases that are highly inflammable, that are not inflammable and gases that neither inflammable nor toxic
- Classification 3 –(Liquids) and has no sub-divisions
- Classification 4 –(Solids) There are three sub-categories that deal with highly combustible solids, self-reactive solids and solids that when interact with water could emit toxic gases
- Classification 5 –(Oxidation)substances that have the chances of oxidisation
- Classification 6 – (Toxic)all kinds of substances that are toxic and that could prove to be infective
- Classification 7 –(Radioactive)is specifically for materials that are radioactive
- Classification 8 –(Corrosion)is for materials that face the threat of corrosion and erosion
- Classification 9 -(All in all)those dangerous goods that cannot be classified under any of the above heading
What Is IMDG CODE?
IMDG code was created under the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS) and the International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships (MARPOL 73/78).
The code has been continuously amended so far, and there has been constant amendments to the IMDG code.
The IMDG Code contains list of all solid, liquid and gaseous dangerous cargo transported by sea
Cargo can be explosive, flammable, oxidizing and radioactive substances.
Every two years the code is proposed for the amendment, after two years of the proposal of the code, the code is finally adopted by the concerned authorities.
The International Maritime Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG) amendments proposal procedure :
- The members of the IMO brings forward the required proposal
- It is the UN’s expert panel who views decides what proposals meets the requirement and then passes immediate resolution for the upcoming amendment.
The IMDG code supplement
Required emergency procedures for vessels carrying dangerous goods
Medical first aid
IMO/ILO/ECE guidelines for packing cargo transport units
How to use pesticides safely on ships, cargo holds and CTUs
IMDG code for irradiated nuclear fuel package , plutonium & high-level radioactive wastes
Imdg code 2020 pdf free download
To download the pdf copy of imdg code 2020 , your may click here
You may also like to read : What is container ship?
You may also like to read : What is Bulk carrier?