- What is meant by GP Rating?
- How to join as Gp Rating Course in India ?
- Gp Rating Course Eligibility
- Best college for GP rating course –DG approved
- Gp rating course in Mumbai
- Gp rating course in Kolkata
- Gp rating course in Paradip
- Gp rating course in Delhi
- Course in Uttar-pradesh
- Course in Tamil Nadu
- Course in Gujrat
- Course in Goa
- Top Gp Rating College in India
- Gp Rating Course Syllabus
- How to join 6 Month Pre-Sea Course for Gp ratings for Fitters/Petty Officers?
- GP Rating promotion chart
- NCV(NWKO) Course
- Eligibility Criteria for NCV(NWKO)
- Gp rating to captain
- UK OOW(Officer of watch) Exams
- List of Institutes conducting NCV(NWKO) course
- Gp rating to 2nd Officer
- Gp Rating Course Fee
- Gp rating salary
- Gp rating work on Ship
- Can commerce student do GP Rating course?
- Gp rating placement
What is meant by GP Rating?
GP Rating course/Eligibility/Fees/Colleges/Placement
GP rating are General purpose rating in cargo ship, they are responsible for maintenance of ship and act as per order given by the senior officers.
Earlier there was separate course for Deck rating and for Engine rating but later General purpose rating or GP rating course was introduced where GP ratings are trained in such a way that they can work in both deck as well as engine departments.
GP ratings works under the supervision of officers, on deck or in the engine room
The third department on the ship is called saloon department, it consist of
- Chief cook, who is responsible for preparation of food for crew onboard and
- Steward, who assist chief cook and is responsible for cleaning of officer’s cabin, mess and accommodation area.
Once the 6 months course is finished ,”Board of examination of seafarer” conduct external exam, after passing the exam rating is issued with Indian CDC.
With Indian CDC, Pre-sea training certificate, STCW certificate and valid medical certificate GP ratings can join ship.
Related read : Duties of chief cook
Related read : Indian CDC – Continuous Discharge Certificate
How to join as Gp Rating Course in India ?
Course : GP rating course
Duration: 6 Months
Gp Rating Course Eligibility
- 10th passed with aggregate 40% marks from any recognized Board with Science and Maths subject
- Minimum 40% marks in English language either in 10th, 12th or diploma / degree exam.
- Holder of 2 year ITI in (Fitter / Mechanic / Welder ) approved by DVET / NCVT with min 40% aggregate marks in final year of ITI & min 40% in English in 10th or 12th.
Maximum Age limit: 17.5 to 25 years.
Medical Fitness : Candidates are required to be medically fit as per Merchant shipping medical examination guidelines.
Eyesight :Candidates needs to have a vision of 6/6 in each eye separately, without glasses as prescribed in the Merchant Shipping (Medical Examination) Rules, 2000; as amended.
Best college for GP rating course –DG approved
Gp rating course in Mumbai
Anglo eastern maritime academy Anvya maritime institute
Asha international institute of marine technology
MMTI’s Education & Research Trust
Arya Marine Academy
B.P. Marine Academy
Yak Education Trust
Coral maritime institute of learning and development
Gp rating course in Kolkata
Maritime Education Training & Research Insitute
Maritime Academy of India
Gp rating course in Paradip
Orissa Maritime Academy
Gp rating course in Delhi
Sriram Institute of Maritime Studies
Acqatech Institute of maritime Studies
Course in Uttar-pradesh
Acqatech Institute of maritime Studies
Asha Institute of Marine Technology, Varanasi
Course in Tamil Nadu
Balaji Seaman Training Institute
Cosmopolitan Technology of Maritime
Hindustan Institute of Maritime Training
Indus Seafares Training Academy Sri Chakra Maritime College School of Seamanship and Nautical Technology
International Maritime Academy
Southern Academy of Maritime Studies
Tamilnadu Maritime Academy
Course in Gujrat
Maritime Training Academy
Course in Goa
Sea Scan Maritime Academy
NUSI Maritime Academy
Top Gp Rating College in India
TS RAHAMAN and NUSI ranks top in above list
Gp Rating Course Syllabus
Maritime English & General Ship Knowledge.
Navigation at Support Level
Cargo Handling and Stowage at Support Level
Marine Engineering at Support Level
Electrical and electronic engineering at Support level
Controlling the Operation of Ship
Maintenance and Repair at Support Level
STCW Mandatory Courses and Ship Visit
Proficiency in Survival Techniques
• Elementary First Aid
• Fire Prevention and Fire Fighting
• Personal Safety and Social Responsibility
• Port/Dock/Harbour/Ship Visit
How to join 6 Month Pre-Sea Course for Gp ratings for Fitters/Petty Officers?
Passed 2-Year I.T.I. course from any Govt. Approved Institute
- Minimum 50% aggregate marks in final year
- Minimum 40% marks in English at 10th or 12th or diploma/degree exam.
Maximum age limit –Between 17.5 to 25 years.
GP Rating promotion chart
Click Here For Watchkeeping & COP Sea time requirements
All those candidates who are just 10th passed and wants to join exciting and adventurous career in merchant navy ,can do so by completing General Purpose Rating course.
It is a pre sea training course after completion of the course candidates need to do STCW courses after they can join any shipping company.
Gp rating candidate can also become officer after completing required sea time of 36 months on vessel of more than 500 Grt.
If the candidate wants to appear officer exams from India, then the
Candidates needs to undergo NCV(NWKO) exam conducted by MMD government of India and short courses
- 6 Months
- Required sea time – 36 months
Eligibility Criteria for NCV(NWKO)
- Age – Min 18 years
- Qualification – 10th passed with any stream, from any recognized Education Board with 50% marks in English.
- Bridge watch keeping certificate issued by master of the ship stating that rating has kept bridge watch under the supervision of a qualified officer.
- Sea-Time-36 months of sea time is required on more than 500 Grt vessel.
- Medical – medically fit as prescribed in the Merchant Shipping (Medical Examination) Rules
Gp rating to captain
1. Six month GP rating course from Dg approved institute.
2. 36 months onboard sea time training or 18 month with DLP(distance learning program).
3. Appear for NCV(NWKO) exams
4. Sail as NCV(NWKO) officer for 6 months
5. Appear for 2 mate foundation and functions exam
6. After clearing 2 mate, sail as third officer on foreign going ship
7. Gp rating can reach upto Master level by clearing all required exams
List of short courses
Gp Ratings can also appear exam from UK , Its a 9-10 months course and after successful completion of the course candidate can directly sail as 2 officer in Foreign ship.
UK OOW(Officer of watch) Exams
All those Gp ratings looking for officer’s exam can do so by appearing for 2mate exam from India, UK, Singapore, Australia and New zealand
It takes lot of time if candidate appears from India, however if a candidate appears from UK he can get his COC in about 9 -10 months period.
List of Institutes conducting NCV(NWKO) course
|Chennai||National Maritime Academy|
|Mumbai||B. P. Marine Academy |
Mumbai Maritime Training Institute (MMTI)
LBS College of Advanced Maritime Studies & Research
|Delhi||NATCOM Education & Research Foundation Applied Research International (ARI) Sensea Maritime Academy|
Gp rating to 2nd Officer
Once GP Rating course is completed the rating can join ship in the capacity of Deck or Engine rating and may work in Deck /Engine department in the guidance of seniors crew aboard ships.
There are many such examples where ratings has reached to top rank.
Related Read: Duties of Deck ratings
Related Read: Duties of Engine ratings
Gp Rating Course Fee
Gp rating salary
Salary of Gp rating differ with the companies, however the standard salary for trainee Gp rating is 300-450 USD including of overtime.
Food, accommodation and repatriation is provided by the company.
Gp rating work on Ship
GP ratings are responsible for maintenance work of the ship, they will go on deck at 8:00 hrs and start with chipping and painting work, they will also clean the accommodation area, crew mess room, toilets and pantry area.
In addition they can assist in lookout duties, seamanship, cargo watch etc.
Deck rating may clean holds ,bilges, tanks and engine rating may clean bilges ,boiler, exhaust system etc.
Deck and engine rating are called during stations whenever ship arrives or depart from a port.
Can commerce student do GP Rating course?
Certificate Course in Maritime Catering
12th passed- Any stream
12th standard – 40% marks with min 40% marks in English language in 10th or 12th
Gp rating placement
It is advised to the candidates not to fall victim of such agents who claim to provide 100% job guarantee, instead candidates must approach Approved Shipping companies or DG approved college for their placement.
Related read : How to get sponsorship in merchant navy